Just like other kitchen knives and chef’s knives, a paring knife is also a mainstay of every kitchen. Even professionals out there also call for a paring knife to pare fruits and vegetables. Paring knives are meant to excel in the performance of removing outer layers or peels. However, not all paring knives will precisely cut or peel. You will need the best ones for it and Japanese paring knives are famous all around. Hence, we have come up with a list of the 10 Best Japanese pairing Knives.
Japanese knives are always hyped because of their precise performing efficiency. Almost all the best knife brands from Japan offer paring knives. Hence, the list becomes quite long. But, for your convenience, we have shortened down the list so that you do not get confused while choosing the best one for you.
So, let’s get to our all the 10 best Japanese paring knives without any delay.
Top 10 Japanese Paring Knife Review in Detail
Paring knives are necessary both for home kitchen and professional kitchen. They are versatile and multi-purpose knives. The best paring knife even can process meats without bones and small fishes. Hence, to get the best paring knife you have to check out its material, size, shape, production method, and all.
1. Shun Premier Paring Knife Review
Shun is one of the best Japanese knife brands. It is a reputed brand that comes with all the best knives made of all the best possible materials. And, nothing is exceptional in the case of the Shun Premier Paring Knife. This is a 4-inch paring knife made of quality materials. The blade of the knife is made of high-quality VG MAX steel. The steel is layered and comes with a hand-hammered finish which is also known as ‘Tsuchime’.
The handle of the knife is also made of Pakkawood. For a secure grip, this rounded handle is great. The Damascus cladding look also makes the knife look beautiful and elegant. Like other knives of Shun, this paring knife is also fully handcrafted by the skilled craftsmen of Japan.
What we Like
- The 4-inch paring knife weighs 4.9 ounces hence it is lightweight
- Suitable for coring, slicing, mincing, and decorative touches of fruits and veggies
- The blade has beautiful Damascus cladding and a hand-hammered finish
- It comes with a VG MAX cutting core and offers razor sharpness
- The handle is made of durable Pakkawood
- The handle offers convenient grip and effortless cutting
- Full tang, well-balanced and has embossed endcap
- Requires high maintenance
- Needs proper re-sharpening
- Only hand wash is required
All Shun premier knives are made of their signature state-of-the-art technology. This handcrafted paring knife also made following all the strict rules and treatment. The blade of the knife comes with a Damascus cladding look of 68 microlayers. Also, its significant Tsuchime feature makes the knife special.
Overall, if you are willing to pay for the best Japanese paring knife then this Shun Premier Paring knife would be the best option.
2. Kasumi Paring Knife Review
After the Shun paring knife, this Kasumi paring knife is competitively the second-best Japanese paring knife. This knife is very unique and it has got a pointy tip. This is a 3-inch paring knife and ideal for paring purposes. The blade of the knife also has an elegant Damascus pattern on it. With the VG 10 cutting core, the blade includes a total of 33 layers of steel.
However, among all the steel layers only the middle layer indicates its sharpness. The knife is also double beveled and its bevel is also larger than those German or American knives. Also, the knife includes an asymmetrical handle. The handle is made of multiple wood layers. It is also impregnated with plastic resin and has two rivets on it.
What we Like
- 3-inch knife ideal for paring and peeling of any ingredients
- The blade is narrow and pointy
- The blade is designed with multiple layers of Damascus steel and has an elegant pattern
- It comes with a VG-10 cutting core and a sharp edge
- For improved durability, the steel includes manganese, vanadium, molybdenum and all
- The edge is double beveled and has superior edge retention
- The handle is longer and laminated with resin
- The handle is comfortable and rests easily on hand
- Full tang, double-riveted, and flexible knife
- The dishwasher is not safe
- Requires proper maintenance and storage
The knife is special for its look and efficiency. Its VG-10 Damascus patterned blade is highly practical. To make the utmost durability and benefit of the blade, the steel of the blade includes vanadium. Molybdenum, manganese, and especially cobalt. This feature also makes the knife way special.
Overall, to have the utmost satisfaction of working with a paring knife, this Kasumi Paring Knife is a wise decision to have.
3. Shun Classic Blonde Paring Knife Review
Shun has never failed to amaze its customers. After its Premier series paring knife, the classic series knife is also among the best Japanese paring knife. Unlike the premier one, this one comes with a complete appearance. However, the knife is smaller than the previous one and it’s a 3.5-inch long knife. With the high-carbon VG-MAX cutting core, the blade of the knife is made. It also has 34 layers of Damascus cladding on it.
However, the main attractive part of the knife is its blonde handle. It looks excellent and it is made of Pakkawood. The handle is D-shaped and comes with a good grip. The knife is also sharpened to an angle of 16-degree. This handcrafted knife is beautiful and efficient.
What we Like
- Lightweight, beautiful and blonde knife
- Suitable for peeling, cutting, trimming, coring, and more
- The blade is made of precious VG-MAX steel
- The blade has a beautiful Damascus pattern
- The edge of the knife has evil sharpness
- The knife has superior edge retention and flexibility
- The handle is rounded and suitable for everyone
- The handle is resistant to rotation and unwanted movement
- Balanced and bolstered for improved precision and safety
- Skilled re-sharpening is required
- It is not dishwasher safe
Every Shun knife is special and comes with great value. This classic paring knife is also special because of its evil sharpness right out of the box. The short blade of the knife provides versatile cutting purposes. Again, the material and blonde color of the handle makes the knife a desired piece of art.
Overall, to have a great combination of art, technology, and performance in your kitchen, this Shun Classic Blonde Paring Knife is a great choice.
4. Miyabi Mizu Paring Knife Review
Miyabi Mizu is also one of the most well-reputed brands. The brand also offers a paring knife to its customers. With the higher quality materials, their paring knife is one of a kind. The blade of the knife is constructed with Micro Carbide powder SG2 steel. The blade has given a textured finish of the Damascus layer and the core has a hammered design.
The Miyabi Mizu Paring knife is made following all the strict methods and procedures. It has a hardness Rockwell rate of 63. Moreover, the blade is hand-honed in Japan’s traditional way and it is sharpened to an angle from 9 to 12-degree. The knife is also equipped with a D-shape Micarta handle.
What we Like
- The knife is short, lightweight, and efficient
- Suitable for peeling, trimming, and coring of any edibles
- The blade is made of high-quality and expensive SG2 steel
- The blade is designed with the Damascus pattern
- Comes with standard HRC and sharp edge
- The handle is D-shaped and also suitable for left-handed people
- The handle is balanced with the blade
- Full tang knife, handcrafted and riveted
- Not meant for low maintenance
- Handwash is a must
This Miyabi Mizu paring knife is special because of the production method. Undoubtedly, the knife is beautifully handcrafted. However, to get the standard HRC rate, the knife has to go under the Criodur ice-hardening method. This method is special and it maximizes the steel durability and properties.
Overall, to have a paring knife that will serve you longer than your expectation, choosing the Miyabi Mizu Paring Knife would be a wise idea.
5. Tojiro DP Paring Knife Review
If you are a true knife enthusiast then you must have heard the knife brand named Tojiro. This brand is also one of the best brands and no doubt it also has to offer the best paring knife. Unlike our other reviewed knives, it seems a bit slender and longer yet its blade is only 3.5-inch long. However, the blade of the knife is built with a 3-ply clad with a VG-10 core.
Between two layers of highly rigid stainless steel the cutting core is encased. With 60 HRC and 9 to 12-degree edge angles, the knife is razor-sharpened. Again, the handle of the knife is longer, curvy, and riveted.
What we Like
- The knife is suitable for people with larger hands
- Great for peeling, paring, and trimming
- The blade of the knife has a VG-10 core
- The blade is resistant to rust and stain
- The knife comes with 60 Rockwell hardness
- Superior edge retention and angled to razor sharpness
- The handle is ergonomic and balanced with the blade
- Full tang, half-bolstered, and triple-riveted
- A bit expensive
- Only hand washing is suggested
The specialty of the knife is its quality value. The steel of the knife blade is precious and it is nicely sharpened and clad. It is sharp out of the box and great for detailed and precise paring or coring of edibles.
Overall, to have sharp satisfaction in your daily paring tasks, this Tojiro DP Paring Knife would be a great help.
6. Yaxell Mon Paring Knife Review
Yaxell Mon Paring knife is also one of the best paring knives from the popular Japanese brand Yaxell. This is a 3.25-inch blade and made of the best material possible. It has a Vg-10 superior steel blade. The steel is infused with molybdenum, vanadium, and cobalt. The 3-layer feature of the blade makes it highly durable.
Moreover, the handle of the knife is made of linen canvas Micarta and it is also laminated with black resin. However, the knife is beautifully polished and crafted. It is equipped with an endcap made of 18/1o stainless steel. This feature adds perfect balance and stability to the whole knife.
What we Like
- The knife peels, trims, cores, and decorates well
- The knife has a traditional and impressive appearance
- The blade is made of 3 layers of VG-10 superior steel
- It comes with spear point type blade and fine edge
- It has a 61-degree HRC rate and blade angle of 12-degree
- Super sharp and higher edge retention
- The Micarta handle is comfortable
- Full tang knife, handle has two rivets
- The knife is high-maintenance
- Requires mild detergent and warm water for cleaning
The specialty of the knife is its impressive look and crafting method. The knife has an excellent sand-blast finish that reflects Japanese traditional and ancient Katana sword wave lines. Again, its endcap also improves the internal balance of the knife.
To have the most durable and smoothly polished kitchen workhorse, this Yaxell Mon Paring Knife is undoubtedly great.
7. TUO Paring Knife Review
Offering some of the classic paring knives, TUO is also in this row. This is a 3.5-inch long paring knife from the Ring DM Series of TUO. This knife is made of high-grade materials. The blade has an extraordinary Damascus pattern. The AUS-10 superior steelworks as the core of the blade. The 67 Damascus layers make it look beautiful.
Moreover, the handle of the knife is made of a military-grade G10 handle. Its red and black colored handle is contemporary in style and impervious to moisture, hot, and cold. With premium quality materials and rivets, the whole knife is beautifully constructed.
What we Like
- The knife comes with a contemporary look
- Highly efficient and suitable for paring of all edibles
- The blade is made of Japanese AUS-10 Damascus super steel core
- Featured with 12-15-degree sharp edge
- Comes with 62HRC and higher edge retention
- The handle is premium quality and offers control and agility over the knife
- Full tang blade connected with a beautiful copper mosaic handle
- The tapered bolster feature offers finger protection and zero-balance
- Featured with the hand-polished spine for increased comfort
- Only hand washing is preferred
- Need to sharpen frequently
The knife is mainly hyped for its excellent production material and its combination. From the blade steel to the endcap steel, everything adds value to the overall knife. This knife is a real class. Even according to its performance, the knife is just awesome.
Overall, with the wonderful quality and decent price rate, this TUO Paring Knife from the Ring DM Series is perfect for your kitchen and also for gifting.
8. Miyabi Paring Knife Review
As a Japanese brand, Miyabi is also famous for providing the best paring knife. That’s why we’ve picked up the best paring knife of the Miyabi brand that provides exclusive features. The Sg2 micro-carbide powder steel helps to build up a sharp and purposeful blade. The thin edge is polished by the Japanese artisans with great effort. The potential core of the blade is defined by the Tsuchime finish.
The katana edge refers to the samurai swords and their glorification to a great extent. To get the perfect edge retention from 9.5 to 12 degrees, the brand follows many old and new processes of making knives including the Honbazuke process. The D-shaped comfortable handle is made by the Cocobolo Rosewood pakkawood. The red spacers and unique mosaic pin make the handle look unique.
What we Like
- The pleasure of using an efficient paring knife to cut, trim, or peeling vegetables
- Comes with authentic Japanese materials to last long
- The hand-honed finishing provides extra sharpness to the blade
- The hand-hammered effect of the blade prevents the clingy edibles from sticking
- The wooden handle comes with the extra advantage of comfort
- The handle fits into the palm properly
- The traditional design of the knife makes it looks sophisticated
- The knife doesn’t come along with a sheath
- Not dishwasher safe
- Requires proper attention for its edge is super sharp
Miyabi knives are a mixture of old and modern sophistications and the Miyabi paring knife is true evidence of that. The finishing of the knife is tremendous and the performance tells it all.
This knife has so much popularity that, many professional chefs have chosen the knife for regular use. Besides, the strong build-up of the knife lets its sharpness last for a long time.
9. Misono Paring Knife Review
Misono paring knife is our next best pick. This knife looks sharp and its arguable performance is worth experiencing. The blade is sharpened with high carbon stainless steel. The molybdenum steel offers great consistency to the blade. And the double-beveled edge offers immense sharpness to the blade.
The blade acquires up to 56-58 degrees Rockwell hardness. The 70:30 asymmetrical bevels offer great balance, while you up to cut or trim some edibles. The edge is polished following the traditional way of Japan. The composite wooden handle is a full tang. With the help of the double rivets, the knife is stood firmly.
What we Like
- The pleasure of using a good-branded knife in your kitchen
- The logo of the Misono brand shows its sophistication to a great extent
- The thin blade cuts and trims the fruits and vegetables with ease
- The sharp edge remains sharp for a longer time than other knives
- The knife is finished and polished by the hands of experts in Japan
- The handle of the knife is made with a very rich material
- The seamless finishing of the knife enlightens the beauty of the kitchen
- No Saya cover is offered
- Requires proper preservation
This Misono paring knife is proof of the authentic Japanese paring knife. The knife offers a blade perfect for cutting small vegetables.
In fine, Misono as a brand trusts in the capability of the Japanese handcrafts. This knife comes with all the defined beauty that a paring knife should have.
10. HANZO Paring Professional Chef Knife Review
Last but not least the HANZO Paring Knife is also a slayer with its absolutely outstanding cutting performance. The knife is built with premium high carbon VG10 steel. The blade is forged to 67 tempest layers of Damascus steel and reflects a great pattern. The VG10 provides the sharpest edge ever. The 3.75-inch blade edge has 6500 grit sharpness with an HRC rate of 60.
Moreover, the knife comes with a Hanzo handle that is made of a military-grade G10. Offering perfect grip the handle is highly polished using the UltraComfortTM technology. the handle is triple-riveted and its middle rivet is a mosaic of ‘Red Star’.
What we Like
- The knife is skillfully handcrafted ensuring superior strength and durability
- The blade has 67 layers of Damascus steel around the superior VG10 core
- The blade is super thin and best for paring purpose
- The edge is sharpened to 6500 grit
- The handle is also made of high-quality G10 material
- The handle is resistant to slip and temperature
- The handle firmly places on the hands
- Full bolstered and full tang knife
- The handle has triple rivets
- Comes in a beautiful box
- High-maintenance is required
- Handwash is not safe
This Hanzo knife from Katana Series is made of the best materials out there. To talk about the blade, it has got Damascus clad and a superior cutting core. The handle is one of the best as it is lightweight and also fatigue-free. The under of the handle is also featured with an extra knuckle clearance design for improved safety.
Overall, this Hanzo Paring knife is surely not the best but one of the best ones, and having it would never be an unwise decision.
FAQ’s on Best Japanese Paring Knife
How do you choose the best Japanese paring knife?
Well, it’s not very tough to choose the best paring knife. Some qualities should be infused in a paring knife to be considered the best. A paring knife is always short with a length size from 3 to 4-Inch. Also, the blade and handle should be made of the best steel and material for durability.
Which blade steel is the best for a paring knife?
The best Japanese paring knives come with blades that are made of superior Japanese steel. Most of them use VG-10 and VG-MAX super steel to make the knife blades. These materials are considered the best steel for making knives. Besides, some come with precious AUS-10 steel as well.
Why do I need a paring knife?
Well, like some other kitchen knives, paring knives are also essential kitchen tools. This arsenal is required for professionals for paring, peeling, or decorating edibles. The paring knives are versatile and they serve some specific purposes precisely.
Now that you know the name of the best Japanese paring knives, it is easier for you to select one for yourself. And if you still stick to us, most probably you have already chosen your required one. However, it is unwise to choose products that won’t match your needs. You will never be able to compensate for the necessity of a chef knife with a paring knife.
Nonetheless, if you are agreed to pay for the best one then we recommend you the Shun Premier Paring Knife. According to the performance, feature, material, and everything this knife is the true kitchen workhorse. Now, it’s all up to you which one to choose. Also, leave us your precious feedback.