You know there are differences among all the kitchen knives. Some of the well-known brands offer knives at expensive price rates. But, many of us look for knives that are low pricy yet beat the fancier brands more or less. Hence, for your kind information, we would like to let you know that, Mercer Culinary has always been a reputed culinary brand for its products and price range. They produce some of the best inexpensive knives. You will know more when you read our article on Mercer Genesis Knife Review.
Though it won’t be wise to say that, this brand can beat the expensive brands, it is a bit competitive. Most importantly, they offer an arguably better deal according to the value per dollar. If you are still reading this article then I am sure you are exactly looking for this deal.
So, to acknowledge you about the best deal of the brand Mercer Culinary let’s have a detailed review on Mercer culinary Genesis Chef’s Knife.
Mercer Culinary Genesis Chef Knife Review in Detail
Chef’s knives are meant for all-purpose. It is a basic need in a kitchen. Hence, a chef knife is not a thing you buy every day. You need to choose the one that will be a great addition to your cutlery and cooking process. For over 30 years, Mercer Culinary is serving the purpose. So, let’s get to each detail of the Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife and know if it will serve you longer or not.
Blade and Material
The blade is the most important part of any knife and its material defines its quality so far. It is always better to go for the expensive knife rather than go for the cheapest one with the cheapest blade material. But, this Mercer genesis knife will surprise you with its blade and its material.
- German Steel blade: The steel of the blade is imported from the knife city Solingen, Germany. We all know the value of high-carbon stainless German steel while making a knife. The blade is equipped with x50 Cr Mo V15 steel It is softer but it is durable than most other steels.
- Precision-forged construction: Forged knives are always better than stamped knives. This Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife has also gone under the precision forged method. This construction method ensures the durability and strength of the blade.
- Ideal sized blade: The knife comes with an 8-Inch blade which is always considered a standard size for a chef knife. 8-inch precision-forged blade made of German cutlery steel is always ta perfect blend.
A chef knife should always come with a razor-sharp edge. As it is used for cutting and chopping of many larger and smaller fruits, vegetables, and even for meat cutting or boning purposes. As the Mercer genesis knife is made of German blade its edge is also sharpened precisely.
- Taper-ground edge: The knife has given a tapered ground edge. It makes a relatively thin feature to have an excellent slicing experience. Removing steel to the side the taper feature goes down making it easier for cutting through things.
- Honing is easy: The German stain-free steel is soft so the blade requires honing. Hence, for the taper-ground edge design, sharpening or honing the knife is easier.
- Stable and efficient edge: The edge of the knife is designed efficiently and it has given the proper stability for continuous trouble-free performance.
When a knife is used frequently you want its handle to be ergonomic and made of the finer materials possible. This Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife is also not exceptional.
- Santoprene handle for ergonomic feeling: The handle of the knife is designed with the exceptional Santoprene feature. This feature is suitable for even boning purposes. It is stuffed with slip-resistant properties. Hence, with even a wet hand the handle will give you a comfortable grip.
- Break-resistant properties: The handle is also resistant to break or tear. It is able to withstand cold to hot temperatures. Also, any exposure from anything or kitchen oils do not affect the handle.
A great knife can create an aesthetic look of a kitchen. The knife might be cheap but it should not have a poor appearance. However, Mercer Culinary maintains the look of their knife just like the production materials.
- Convenient Weight and Size: The 8-inch Chef’s knife weighs only 8.8 ounces. This ideal weight helps you cut faster while holding the knife effortlessly.
- The wide blade and comfortable handle: the knife blade is wide and strong. Hence, cutting of larger fruits like watermelon or papaya and vegetables including cabbage, cauliflower is easier.
- Full tang and short bolster: This knife is a full tang that means the blade ends where the handle ends. Full tang knife ensures the safety and prevents falling down.
- One riveted handle: the handle of the knife is one rivetted. The metal rivet at the end of the handle connects the blade with the handle to ensure a perfect balance and safe grip.
There are only good words about Mercer Culinary. Because of being a great value knife, many people choose this one for their kitchen. Even some of the users have compared the knife with the Dalstrong knives and find the Mercer Genesis the best. They are also satisfied with the knife materials.
Like other Mercer Culinary knives, this Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- A lightweight knife comes with an ideal weight
- Kitchen chef’s knife suitable for cutting, chopping, slicing, mincing, boning, and all
- The forged blade is resistant to rust, discoloration, and corrosion
- Edge is tapered and has long-lasting razor sharpness
- Superior edge retention and provides efficiency and stability
- The handle is comfortable and provides an ergonomic grip
- The handle prevents slipping and any breakdown
- Balanced, flexible, and can be used by both newbies and professionals
- Short bolstered knife easy to sharpen, and full tang
- The dishwasher is strictly prohibited
- Doesn’t come with a knife sheath
- Proper care should be maintained
FAQ’s on Mercer Genesis Knife
Is Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife any good?
Within the price range, Mercer tries to provide the best knife possible. Their knives are arguably on the limelight and hyped ones. The brand never compromises with the material quality. This value-driven brand’s knives are worth trying. Hence, this Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife is also a great deal.
Is the knife full bolstered?
No, the knife is not fully bolster-less. It is shortly bolstered so that it adds a strong balance to the knife for handling it way better while cutting food. It also ensures the long durability of the whole knife. On the other hand, for being short bolstered, it is easy to sharpen the knife.
Mercer Culinary Genesis 8-Inch Short Bolster Chef’s Knife
- Santoprene handle for comfort and safe grip
- NSF certified
- High carbon forged steel from Soligen, Germany.
- Stain-resistant x50 Cr Mo V15 resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration.
- Full tang
- Taper-ground edge allows for added stability, easy honing, long-lasting sharpness
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Hand wash knives for blade edge and surface care
Overall, Mercer Culinary has gained a lot of fame and popularity for being one of the best value-driven brands. For more than 30 years the brand is only improving with its product quality. Now, they are more grown and developed to be a global source for accessories and cutlery tools. This Mercer Genesis Chef’s Knife is one of them.
Like many of their cutlery tools, this knife is also NSF certified. Maintaining all the hygiene the knives are made of quality materials as we mentioned earlier in detail. So, to meet your need as a cook or food enthusiast this knife can be a great choice. Now, it’s all up to you. If you like the knife let us know which part convinced you the most.